Workplace Mentoring Program Fellow - Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Iowa
Location: Des Moines, IA Dates: May 21 - August 10, 2018
Compensation: $570/week stipend, up to 5% bonus Deadline: March 25, 2018
FLIA cultivates leaders and strengthens youth-oriented nonprofits through a fellowship program. Fellows, individuals interested in entering the social sector, work on-site full-time at a partner nonprofit to develop or implement a pre-determined enrichment program.
Throughout the fellowship, fellows gain various professional skills including fundraising, communication, program development, in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Iowa Overview
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Iowa creates and sustains meaningful, monitored mentoring relationships between adult volunteers (Bigs) and children (Littles) between the ages of 5 and 18. BBBSCI has two core programs: Community Based Mentoring and School Based Mentoring. As a part of the School Based Mentoring program, BBBSCI recently launched a Workplace Mentoring program specifically for middle school students.
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
You will ...
- Enhance the Workplace Mentoring program
- Work with staff to determine the needs and gaps of the program
- Research existing best practices for career exploration programs
- Establish a set curriculum including topics to cover and interactive activities for Bigs and Littles
- Create a system to ensure successful implementation after the fellowship
- Attend pre-fellowship training retreat in Portland, OR from May 21 - 25, 2018 (expenses covered)
- Fundraise $500 (with guidance from FLIA)
- Weekly FLIA responsibilities including check-in calls
- Submit final report
- Comfortable working with youth
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about the social sector
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity
- Demonstrate professionalism