Summer 2017 Skills for Success Fellow
Location: Des Moines, IA Dates: May 30 – August 18, 2017
Compensation: $570/week stipend, up to 5% bonus Deadline: March 26, 2017
FLIA cultivates leaders and strengthens youth-oriented nonprofits through a fellowship program. Fellows, college students and recent college graduates, work on-site full-time at a partner nonprofit to develop or implement a pre-determined enrichment program.
Throughout the fellowship, fellows gain various professional skills including fundraising, communication, program development, in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Iowa (BBBSCI) Overview
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Iowa creates and sustains meaningful, monitored mentoring relationships between adult volunteers (Bigs) and children (Littles) between the ages of 5 and 18. BBBSCI has two core programs: Community Based Mentoring and School Based Mentoring. As a part of the Community Based Mentoring program, BBBSCI launched a program called Opportunities for Post-Secondary Success (OPS) to help the older Littles graduate on time and prepare for life after graduation.
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
You will ...
- Enhance the Opportunities for Post-Secondary Success Program
- Research existing best-practices
- Establish clear timeline and expectations for participants based on age and interests
- Develop workshop curriculum and community relationships
- Create a system to ensure successful implementation after the fellowship
- Attend pre-fellowship training retreat in Portland, OR May 30 – June 2 (expenses covered)
- Fundraise $500
- Weekly FLIA responsibilities including check-in’s
- Submit final report
- Comfortable working with youth
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about the social sector
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity
- Demonstrate professionalism