Health Partnerships Fellow - Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Iowa
Location: Des Moines, IA Dates: May 21 - August 10, 2018
Compensation: $570/week stipend, up to 5% bonus Deadline: March 25, 2018
FLIA cultivates leaders and strengthens youth-oriented nonprofits through a fellowship program. Fellows, individuals interested in entering the social sector, work on-site full-time at a partner nonprofit to develop or implement a pre-determined enrichment program.
Throughout the fellowship, fellows gain various professional skills including fundraising, communication, program development, in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Iowa Overview
Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Iowa inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens. BGCCI engages young people with research-based programs and hands-on educational enrichment every day after school, as well as all-day programming across athletics, arts and high-yield learning activities are offered at its five Club locations.
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
You will ...
- Develop and coordinate a partnership between Drake University and all five of BGCCI’s Club sites for a sports related mentorship program
- Work with a Drake University graduate assistant to implement a sports clinic program over the summer for all major sports including football, basketball, track and field, and soccer
- Coordinate logistics related to the clinic and mentoring program
- Establish a system for the continuation and expansion of the mentorship program based on researched best practices
- Engage community mentors across multiple disciplines to enhance the program
- Attend pre-fellowship training retreat in Portland, OR from May 21 - 25, 2018 (expenses covered)
- Fundraise $500 (with guidance from FLIA)
- Weekly FLIA responsibilities including check-in calls
- Submit final report
- Comfortable working with youth
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about the social sector
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity
- Demonstrate professionalism