Fall 2017 YSS Fellow
Location: Ames, IA Dates: September 18 - December 15, 2017
Compensation: $570/week stipend, up to 5% bonus Deadline: July 23, 2017
FLIA cultivates leaders and strengthens youth-oriented nonprofits through a fellowship program. Fellows, college students and recent college graduates, work on-site full-time at a partner nonprofit to develop or implement a pre-determined enrichment program.
Throughout the fellowship, fellows gain various professional skills including fundraising, communication, program development, in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment.
Youth Standing Strong (YSS) Overview
YSS provides prevention, treatment, and transition programming and services to children, youth and families in Iowa. The Community Youth and Family Development (CYFD) branch of YSS provides services in schools and communities that are designed to provide healthy youth development, strengthen positive relationships between youth and adults, and assist parents in healthy childhood development.
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
You will ...
- Assist in designing the 2017 Risky Business Action Summit, a Youth Development event focused on raising awareness, empowering youth and professionals, and facilitating community engagement in positive youth development.
- Finalize a strategy for planning and executing the Risky Business Action Summit program
- Identify post-event outcomes
- Attend pre-fellowship training retreat in Portland, OR from September 18 - 22 (expenses covered)
- Fundraise $500 (with guidance from FLIA)
- Weekly FLIA responsibilities including check-in calls
- Submit final report
- Comfortable working with youth
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about the social sector
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity
- Demonstrate professionalism