Summer 2017 Leadership Development Fellow
Location: Ames, IA Dates: May 30 – August 18, 2017
Compensation: $570/week stipend, up to 5% bonus Deadline: March 26, 2017
FLIA cultivates leaders and strengthens youth-oriented nonprofits through a fellowship program. Fellows, college students and recent college graduates, work on-site full-time at a partner nonprofit to develop or implement a pre-determined enrichment program.
Throughout the fellowship, fellows gain various professional skills including fundraising, communication, program development, in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment.
Youth Standing Strong (YSS) Overview
YSS provides prevention, treatment, and transition programming and services to children, youth and families in Iowa. Iowa Homeless Youth Centers works to transition youth between the ages of 16 - 25 in Des Moines, IA. One of its programs is the Post-Secondary Education Retention Program (PSERP), which works with youth as they complete their certificate, two-year associate’s degree, and/or a four-year bachelor’s degree.
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
You will ...
- Add a leadership development and community engagement component to PSERP
- Research and create leadership and community engagement programming along with a manual to be implemented throughout the year based on existing best-practices
- Design and help to implement a ½ to 1 day leadership development workshop
- Develop relationships with community partners for suitable volunteer opportunities
- Attend pre-fellowship training retreat in Portland, OR May 30 – June 2 (expenses covered)
- Fundraise $500
- Weekly FLIA responsibilities including check-in’s
- Submit final report
- Comfortable working with youth
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about the social sector
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity
- Demonstrate professionalism